White collared shirt tucked tight into khaki shorts, I weave a brown belt ‘round a tiny waist and show him how to buckle and unbuckle. Practicing, his eyes smile proud when he gets it. He jumps into my lap and wraps his arms tight, I hold into this moment deeper than yesterday.
My todays have become soft and quiet. No scuffling
feet among the floors, no little voices imitating battle scenes or brotherly brawls
I must intervene. My car seats are hollow with no dangling feet to kick my
seat. The grocery store runs are empty too, I gaze at the mommy’s with
babies in baskets and choo choo trains of tiny feet following. It’s just me at
lunch time, an empty table once covered in crumbs, spills and communion
of laughter.
“Grace allows u-turns; it’s Time that doesn’t. ”- Ann
Voskamp. There is no career that can replace Jonah’s dimples, no hobby that
cure the missing of Jackson’s laugh, and there is no baby that can bring
boys giggles and frills back into my silent hallways.
Wanting to let laundry sit longer, the dishes rest dirty and the toys kept chaotic, all that I may glean ever more deeply from their outrageous questions, silly stories, their snuggles and tears and that energy which seem only to unravel upon a pillow. Grace, that undeserved, hardly able to receive, gift of glory is urging me to take. To take these quieter days and then take hold all the more closely the time given when my home is full.
This is a grace too, to coerce us all into waking up to the here that won’t be here tomorrow.
-Ann Voskamp
Happy & Blessed Wednesday, Emily
Linked up with..,.

Linked up with..,.



No comments:
Post a Comment