Phero - The greek word wich means "to bear".
It is used in scripture in bearing light, specifically of the morning star as the Light Bringer.
The word, Photos, comes from the greek word which means, light.

Phero Photos - "To Bear Light"

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Granhappy

Nearly 65 years of marriage, a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during World War II, a successful and full career as an Engineer, the raising of 3 daughters, 8 grandchildren, and 5 great grandchildren, and a journey with Christ that is now no longer in part but in full, we said good bye to a wonderful man.

I honor him with these jotted down pieces of precious memory.

The Man I Call Granhappy


The fading burnt orange glass
dancing with dimples to fit my fingers
is filled to the lip
with a malt made just precisely by him

I watch him pull mints from
his jacket pocket
and hand them to girls in dresses
and boys in khaki slacks;

He’s the usher at church
who places candy in tiny palms.
I’m proud he’s my Grandad,
I’m proud he’s that usher.

I watch his fingers fall through
the fur of Rufus and Buck, then Jackson and the Alphie’s.
They sit akin to their master.
They love because they know his love.

He sits across my mothers work desk
and sips slowly from a mug
filled black with coffee
“I like it black, like my heart!” – He jokes… again.

I watch him keep to loving Nanie
the woman he still calls – “My Bride.”
He hugs her, he kisses her,
he knows her well.

He rests on the two seated couch
while the sounds of the ball park
fill the space.
He watches with his ears… and smiles.

Granhappy is quiet, like me.
I like that and I believe
we could have a conversation
without any words and be just fine.

His gaze, though not really a gaze at all;
rather the itching of his ears when I am near –
knows that it’s me
before I can say, “It’s me!”

Walter is his name but, like I said, he’s
Granhappy to me.
There is something he loves to say and that’s –
“Well girls, see ya around the pool hall.”

And that is just that-
You will see us at the pool hall.
You will even see the One who says, “I am He.” –
For you do see yet again.

© Emily Wolcott Murphy –
February 13th 2011 - In tender memory of my Granhappy, Walter Heffler.






No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like...