Hers were the prayerful hands to touch me first,
the day I nearly may not have been.
Hers were the praises which were said
That day her body wearisome bled
Hers was the embrace which cupped me first,
all five pounds wrapped up in charis
Hers were the lips which touched me then,
upon her breast, a tiny head beneath her chin
Hers were the gentle arms which ‘hugged up’ first
the many a’ moonlit eve’s by my bed.
Hers were the hands which held me then
The night I tearful told my aching for a friend
Hers were the “I love you’s” soft spoken first
Hers were the mornings she greeted me first,
with a sureness of depth which tree roots grow.
Hers were the “I love you’s” not said in words,
the tender three squeeze her palm constant assured.
Hers were the mornings she greeted me first,
for curls, stockings, pink blush and His word.
Hers were the fingers, aging even when
playing with her rings upon the pew carved wooden.
Hers were the tear drops which hoped for me first
when dorm walls distanced her touch.
Hers was the gift I turned then to open,
Of ‘Gods Calling’ I saw her bow gaze at so often.
Hers were the ears I tickled to tell first,
when his knee bent down asking for me.
Hers were the fingers who tenderly wove
The day wearing white I radiantly did glow.
Hers was the ‘Grand’ moment I shared with first
upon pouring my soul out during birth
Hers are the hands, aged even more,
I see whisper love; cradling soft my boys.
Hers was the face I longed to see first
when the storms of life robbed my breath.
Hers was the hand rested sure on my back
that night darkness hovered the gripping color black
Hers was the toil, scores of days and nights
when the sparing of hope haunted my soul.
The road to recover, heal and to mend
found me as her hands ready-made me to stand.
Her hands have shared with me the smell of God
For they’ve held, taught, served and sang –
A story, these hands like hers, aging too
retell to the boy humming on the church row pew.
This Mothers Day I am sobered as I have learned there are elementary children
where we live that must get themselves up & ready to make the bus for school.
Why?
They fear getting a spanking if they wake their Mom up in the morning.
Happy Mothers Day to all the the Mommy's who
Why?
They fear getting a spanking if they wake their Mom up in the morning.
Happy Mothers Day to all the the Mommy's who
embrace & have embraced the challenging call to pour out
their hands
their hands
for the sake of their children.
© Emily Murphy – July 22, 2010




Beautiful!! I am at a loss for words on how to describe how much your poem and pictures moved me.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful!
ReplyDelete