Phero - The greek word wich means "to bear".
It is used in scripture in bearing light, specifically of the morning star as the Light Bringer.
The word, Photos, comes from the greek word which means, light.

Phero Photos - "To Bear Light"

Monday, March 26, 2012

Champagne taste on a Beer Budget

I have a Champagne taste on a Beer budget!
Do you?
Delightful domesticity doesn't have to dwindle your dollars. 
Here are a few frugal ways I've been able to add charm to our home.

 Orchid's dance up a home beautifully!
They are low maintenance and have long plant life.












A good price for Orchids are anywhere from $9.99 to $14.99.
The secret is to buy them at Home Depot.
Why?
Any live goods that don't last a year are able to be returned! Keep those receipts ladies!
 I returned a dwindling orchid and was able to get 2 for the price of one.


You can create plant holders with items you may already have around the house,
 such as my old tin watering can.
The other pots you see on the antique desk were a gift.
By using what I had and returning my wilting Orchid the
Cost of my arrangements this Spring = $0



Delight the home with your children's art work.

Hanging $1 Clipboards from Staples is a unique cost-effective way to change out
your little ones' talents as they grow!


I chalkboard painted each one so my boys could draw on the boards as well.
Chalkboard paint = $10



Delight the home framing memories.

Finding frames that are complimentary  to the home
can add such life to a lonely corner or wall.

These fun frames fell between $3-$7 each at
Marshalls



I like to frame most of my pictures without glass.
As crazy as it sounds I keep my eye out for frames that have broken glass inside.
That way I can get the price knocked down even more
like this framing idea below...


The frame with multiple places for photos had one square with a crack through the glass.
The cost was knocked down to $20
The two prints were a package deal for $16.99 at
Marshalls


Delight the home with french window sashes
&
shabby chic cabinets

Window sashes can be found in older neighborhoods where homes are being remodeled or torn down.
They are usually on the side of the curb waiting for someone like me to give them another home!


My sister, Lauren Walker (artist/graphic designer) hand painted this window sash for me years ago.
I love how it adds color and light to my boys bay window.
Window = Free
Cost of hanging materials = less than $10


You may be thinking, "I'm not an artist and I don't know one."
Why not have your children finger paint a window?
I think that would be just perfect in a boy or girls room!



You can find windows, doors, cabinets, light fixtures, shutters, & so much more at Architectural Salvage stores such as

I found these beautiful teal cabinets for $5 each
& have simply hung them to boost the teal color in my living area.



Hanging materials = $6


Hope these tips have spurred ideas for you so that you can
bloom where you're planted!

Emily Murphy











2 comments:

  1. LOVE all your creative ideas and it has inspired me! To paint a window again possibly ;)cheap therapy ha!
    love you and thank you for keeping my window sash for all this time.
    la

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like...