The camera's shutter closes, it snaps and catches a moment in time.
Our eyes blink, they close, and a moment in time is not seen.
There is only one time of the day when the Sun begins to fall
'round over our frames
and only one season when my little one's shorts will raise higher
on one side more than the other,
for he will know how to pull up his pants properly in due time.
It is this very time the flower sits bright, in bloom and hung high,
yet soon it will not be so.
It is the eve's sun setting that delights my home,
yet before I can turn off the camera it is gone.
Shadows of these truths play with my mind as I hold in one hand the lethargy of days before seeing my sister again; all the while I grip in the other hand the very ticking of time that steals
my boys in their youth.
How to hold these two at the same time
is like none other I've ever known.












From a photographer's heart --- love love love this! You make me want to grab my camera and shoot. Blessings from Holy Experience.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean! Thank you for blessing me today :)
DeleteWell versed my Emma. I don't have words to compare but take from
ReplyDeleteFrederick Buechner:
"even the saddest things can become, once we have made peace with them, a source of wisdom and strength for the journey that still lies ahead."
For however long the journey i am blessed to walk it with you.
Emily, this is haunting and perceptive and purely lovely. You capture the rays of light at the end of the day in these snapshots of life, so well with your camera, and poignantly with your words. You have a gift, for sure. Time is such a strange thing to hold, and indeed a tension, marking a long passage until we see loved ones again, and literally moments and seasons that pass in "the blink of an eye," that we don't want to miss. I'm blessed by your sharing.
ReplyDeleteAmber, I am deeply touched by our words. Grace comes in many forms. Thank you.
Delete